Android App Testing: Step by Step Approach
Mobile is no more a device only to speak on call. Time has come when mobile based applications are replacing websites. Mobile apps are in use through different sectors namely education, retail business, finance sector, health sector, automobile and many more. Because of mobiles apps, communication barrier has diminished as information flow has become quite easy.
Because of enormous acceptability, nowadays mobile apps are developed and tested with a complete strategy. It is important to consider users’ requirement and presences while developing and testing Android and iOS apps. There must be rigorous testing plan for apps else it wouldn’t be perfect quality wise. There are numerous things, which are considered while performing testing namely screen size, Screen resolution, hardware of device, operating system compatibility, telecom operator networks etc.
What is the process of Android App Testing?
In testing, creation of test cases is first and the most important phase. There would be different stages in process from compatibility testing to integration testing. Here I will explain some important testing and their objectives:
- Test Case Creation: this is extremely important because test cases ensure perfectness of app as per conditions. If any mistake happens at this stage then it destroys entire testing campaign.
- Script changes: there would be some scripts which are reusable. Scripts often create error so it should be handled with care.
- Perform manual and automation testing: here you need to execute scripts so that test cases can be executed.
- Usability testing: app can’t be successful until its usability score is good. Navigation and responsiveness should be checked properly.
- Performance testing: from scalability to the resource usage, app testing can be done for numerous aspects.
- Security testing: some common types of testing are SQL injection, data dump, Session hijacking, sniffing, SSL, man in the middle etc.
- Device based testing: different types of devices used for the testing.
We have recently tested an app of educational training. Client is a leader in the education sector of southern America. This Android app is primarily for the interaction between students and faculty. App was to be downloaded on numerous types of devices so this was an additional challenge.
So, here is what we did as Android App tester?
- First we identified, which types of testing actually required? It is not about Android only as approach almost remains same for iOS. We prepare test cases for manual and automation testing.
- Execution of manual and automation testing: we have adopted systematic approach for testing using AGILE model. We broke entire projects into various splits and complotted over short period of time. After every two weeks, we did meeting with our complete team and tried to understand challenges in the process. Main challenge that comes in the process is about the regression so we kept looking whether previous functionalities were intact. In our team, we had used JIRA for tracking of entire system so that things can work in our favor.
- Support round the clock: this was a challenging job as we have offices across different countries so we started working round the clock. Some of our key experts were sitting overseas so this was an additional challenge.
- Beta testing: here we put students of university on the work. We asked faculty and students of university to surf through the pages of application so that bugs can be identified if any.
- Performance testing is something we did after completion of every stage. From responsiveness to the compatibility check, we extensively checked things.
- Device testing: we have one of the best labs for Android app testing. Over the years, we have included numerous devices and required infra. Our lab is complete in all respects. We tested app on hundreds of devices. In the best testing phase, hundreds of students and faculty members had already tested on various devices but still we considered this phase with utmost care.
- Maintenance of the sheet for test cases: this is important because eventually client is going to check this things regarding what we have done in the while process of Android app test.
- Delivery on the client side: we send our representatives to the client so that they can understand, how exactly we carried the test and where app is working perfect.
As a certified Android app tester, we have put our best infra and team for the quality assurance.